Friday, June 6, 2014

HMoA Figure Drawing 06/02/14 - Quantae - Short Poses

Quantae 06/02/14 - Short 2, 5"x 9",  Acrylic on Cardboard.
Quantae was the model this Monday over at the Honolulu Academy of Art.  It was a crowded day with almost 40 people in that tiny class room.

Today I tried something different with the 10 minute pose. I have been using my Tombow pens and working on paper for the short poses, but I have discovered a good use for the half sheets of cardboard in the box Robert let me use.  I am going to paint with them and try to block in as much of the figure as I can in 10 minutes. It has been a great warm up for the longer drawings. 

Above is the first one of these 10 minute paintings. I am really liking what I was able to get done in the time frame.  The figure is defined well and there is a great play in the background and the foreground.I really liking the area around his head, the purple shadows, and the yellow highlights look great against the gray/purple arms.

Pretty good for 10 minutes, but I know I can do better.

Below are the gesture Drawings from that evening here too. I had a pretty good night.

Quantae 06/02/14 - Gesture 1, 9"x 12",  Ink on Paper.
 
Quantae 06/02/14 - Gesture 2, 9"x 12",  Ink on Paper. 
Quantae's day job as an actor is showing through in some of these. I call this one "Naked Prowler." 

Quantae 06/02/14 - Gesture 3, 9"x 12",  Ink on Paper.
Quantae 06/02/14 - Gesture 4, 9"x 12",  Ink on Paper.

Quantae 06/02/14 - Gesture 5, 9"x 12",  Ink on Paper.
Quantae 06/02/14 - Gesture 6, 9"x 12",  Ink on Paper.



Quantae 06/02/14 - Gesture 7, 9"x 12",  Ink on Paper
I like how this one came out. The wash flattens nicely to make a simple shape but the shape is nuanced enough to define the form nicely.

Quantae 06/02/14 - Gesture 8, 9"x 12",  Ink on Paper
Quantae 06/02/14 - Short 01, 9"x 12",  Ink on Paper


Above is one of the 5 minute poses. He was posing with the staff and I managed to get the figure pretty defined in that time frame. This is a pretty straight forward pose but it looks good.

Tomorrow, the long poses, I am really happy with them.

This life drawing class occurs on Mondays at 7PM. It is located at the The Honolulu Museum of Art School, formerly the Academy Art Center at Linekona. There is a $10 class fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment