Saturday, December 7, 2013

HMoA Figure Drawing - 12/02/13 - Kat - Long Poses


Kat 12/2/13 - Pose 2, Ink and Watercolor on Paper, 9"x12"

Monday was drawing at the Honolulu Museum of Art. Kat was the model and I had a great time and have some great pages from the night.

Above is my favorite of the night. It was the second pose of the night and it came out really nice. I really like how I rendered her skin in this picture. The pen strokes and brushstrokes are free but still defining a lot of the form. I love the blue and the red.

The maroon pen I bought on a whim in North Carolina is running out of juice. I had a great run and did some great pictures.

Kat 12/2/13 - Pose 1, Ink and Watercolor on Paper, 9"x12"

This was the first pose of the night. It is good but a little too static for me. I also thing the color of the yellow was a little off from Kat's skin tone.  It is still a good drawing 

The way I rendered her knee in this drawing looks very good.

Kat 12/2/13 - Pose 3, Ink and Watercolor on Paper, 9"x12"
Reclining poses are always a challenge with the foreshortening and the unusual perspective. I am pretty happy with this one. I like how I rendered the bedding in this drawing.

I have been playing with how to render the bedding, chairs and other elements in these sketches. I do like the outline with selective shading and shadows. I do think it works well because I can get a contour line drawing of the bedding in during the time frame but often cannot render there shadows properly. It allows me to define the shapes quickly and plays into my strengths, contour line drawings.

The torso and the legs look a little separate. Looking at them individually, it is even more clear. Although I think it is more the product of the well defined torso and the not as defined legs. The watercolors ran oddly in the left leg, but that is part of the joy of watercolor. It almost always requires a loss of control, which sometimes works and other times doesn't.

Good night over all. I really enjoy all three of these drawings.

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage."
~ Georgia O'Keeffe

No comments:

Post a Comment