Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Trip to Asheville - Mafel's Diner

Mayfel's Restaurant, Ink on Paper, 8" x 10"
My mom is trying to help me accomplish my goal of drawing and painting as much as possible during this trip. We took a trip to downtown Asheville for me to draw. Asheville is a special place.

We came to Pritchard Park, a vibrant triangular area in the middle of  the Battery Park area, and I sat down to draw awhile. I am really happy with this sketch. It is of a restaurant called Mayfel's. I really liked their sign and spent a while making it look right.

I also had a lot of fun drawing the van parked in front of Mayfel's. I was so worried as I begun to draw it that the owner would come and drive away with it. I really like how I rendered the tire in this drawing.

My tombow pen was dying in this drawing. I was able to get some really cool tones with it before it died. Luck was with us--True Blue Art Supply was right around the corner and had a few tombow pens in stock. Looks like I have delayed the online purchase for at least a few more weeks.

"Explore. Dream. Discover."
 ~ Mark Twain

My mom took this photograph of me sitting on the bench at Pritchard Park, from the spot I was sketching...
Sketching Mayfel's frontage

No comments:

Post a Comment