Friday, April 19, 2013

HMoA Figure Drawing 04/15/13 - Sergio


Another Monday drawing class at the Honolulu Museum of Art. I missed class last week to watch a movie at the film festival. Just one week away from the museum seemed like a long long time.

The model was Sergio and as always he was a blast to draw. I have started judging my figure drawing sessions by the number of complete works I post to my Pintrest page. This week was excellent a 3/3 week.

Above is my favorite of the night. My thought after the pose was done is "I have to do a painting of a battlefield and include this poses in on the ground." It looks like a battle casualty.

I am really happy with how the piece of this pose are fitting together. Often in poses like this it's easy to get lost in detail, so the things like the arm will look well rendered but not fit with the rest of the pose. I am really happy with how the hand and foot look in this pose.


Above was the second 20 minute pose of the night. When Sergio took the pose I moved to the floor to get a more dramatic view.

I like how the figure seems to unravel as the right leg trails off the page.  I like the forensic look at how I composed the figure sketch.

I keep regularly going to classes and figure drawing sessions and can see a difference in the quality of my work.  A lot is judging how much I can do in a time frame. However, as I try to explain what I'm doing differently I really am having a rough time doing so.

But in that leg I can see the Burnt Umber I drew the general shapes with. I then smudged it along the edges and added Yellow Ocher as a highlight. Normally I would hide the transition going back into the drawing with both the light and the dark, but in that leg I kept the transition more clear. I then will use highlights to blast out a detail or lines to extenuate a shadow.

It's even difficult for me to see what I did on a page after the fact, but in that leg I can see exactly what I did.


This is an interesting page.  It is the earliest poses, the 2 fives and the ten and the last pose of the night. The two fives are in yellow ocher and blue and are mostly covered up by the ten minute pose on the right and the 20 minute pose on the left. 

After the 10, I immediately regretted using the blue and the green in the earlier poses. I thought the colors were too bright.

Sergio likes his difficult poses. So in the 20 minute pose he was pulling down on a bungee cord that was attached to the back wall. I was really tempted to move because there was very little light dark contrast in the pose; he was entirely in shadow, with some simple highlights on his shoulder and arm.

I stuck with my spot and played up the play with the burnt umber and the blue. The end result is a page I am pretty happy with.

This life drawing class is on Monday at 7PM. It is located at the The Honolulu Museum of Art School, formerly the Academy Art Center at Linekona. There is a $10 class fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment