Sunday, November 18, 2012

Student on a Chair


I was going through an old sketchbook and found this drawing in the back of it. It really jumped out at me for a number of reasons.

First, it was a simple sketch book which I remember purchasing because it was relatively cheap, less then 5 dollars. It has the Hungry Little Caterpillar on it. I then apparently went through the trouble of  toning pages in it. Then with all this prep work I drew in it with black ink; which seems really weird and a waste of all that work. 

I also was apparently in the mood to do a watercolor and only had this book. I also was working with the three color watercolor method, so that means I didn't buy my travel watercolor set yet.

It is a interesting snapshot of me as a painter last year.

I really like this drawing. It is of a student I worked with in the weeks between Thanksgiving and last December. I have done other pictures of him. It is an interesting pose too; it is amazing he held it so long that I could draw it. 

I really like the shape of the shadows on the wall. I also really like the use of the watercolor as an accent to the burnt sienna watercolor pencil. I may have to do a few more sketches like this.

"Among the several kinds of beauty, the eye takes most delight in colors."
~ Joseph Addison

No comments:

Post a Comment