Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Italy Sketchbook 2: Perseus


I really like the statue of  Perseus with the Head of Medusa by Cellini in Florence, Italy's Piazza Della Signora. After I did this sketch, I wanted to do a larger version of it.

I remember having a little difficulty rendering the dark bronze as opposed to the white marble. As I look at this sketch, I think it is because the piece is rather dynamic. I think this has a lot to do with the dark tones as well as the composition. I also enjoy the fact the subject is larger than the page, so is gives the sketch a cropped photograph feel. 

Timeless strength and majesty.
I was so happy with this sketch and this statue, I decided to do a larger more finished version. The larger drawing has already been posted. I have included it again below.



No comments:

Post a Comment