Saturday, October 6, 2012

Italy Sketchbook 3: Florentine Masterpieces


The next two from this sketchbook are from giants of the art world; they are ninja turtles, even: Michelangelo and Donatello.

Above is a sketch of Michelangelo's Dawn; it is located in the Chapel Medici. The vault where the statue is located is at the bottom of a few staircases. I remember it being really cold in the vault because of all the marble.

I actually got kicked out of the tomb, by the security guard, while I was working on the drawing.  There is apparently a time limit to how long you can be in the vault. It's understandable because the vault is kind of small and there are a lot of visitors.

Below is Donatello's St. George. I actually drew it from the bronze cast outside the St. Michael's, Orsanmichele, so it is not the real statue. I drew it in the alleyway where the statue originally stood. I got a lot of good comments about the sketch from random tourists and Florentines.

The original statue of St' George is located in the Bargello, which is where the next series of sketches in this book are from. 


No comments:

Post a Comment