Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sketchbook - Red and Black


So I have been riding the Honolulu city bus a lot these past couple weeks for work. I have been working on a few sketches while on the bus.

I have been experimenting with this red ink in my fountain pen. At first, I thought it was far too light to be of any real use. I then had the great idea to go back in with black ink and the results are kind of neat.
I can really play with depth of field using the two color inks. With thick black lines, I can push certain things forward on the page.  By relying on the red ink, I can have things sink into the background. It reminds me of the technical drawings with red and blue pencils.

I really like the above drawing it was one of the first with the duel ink. The seat and the pole really push to the foreground in this.
  


 I like how much I played with the two color inks here. Its interesting to see the effects of the different color cross hatching.  
 
"Everyone is an explorer. 
How could you possibly live your life looking at a door and not open it?"
 ~ Robert D. Ballard

No comments:

Post a Comment