Friday, September 28, 2012

Italy Sketchbook 1 : Piazza Della Signora

I have been looking though my previous posts, labeling them, tying to figure out what is up on this blog and what I have left to input.  I realized I didn't share with you some of my favorite sketches from my study abroad trip to Italy.

It was a fabulous trip, a joy to remember. I am so happy to share.

I prepped a book full of toned paper before my trip with the goal to try and draw as many marble statues as I could. I had already done cast painting in the Atelier with Snowden Hodges and had been quite successful. 

There is no place like Florence, Italy!

The Piazza Della Signora is an an L-shaped square in front of the historic city hall of Florence as well as the Uffizi Gallery. There are many marble statues in the Piazza including a replica of Michelangelo's David. The David was originally in the piazza until concerns of the weather, riots, and falling roof shingles caused the people of Florence to find a safer home for the beloved David.

So all these statues are located in the Loggia Dei Lanzi which has an outdoor sculpture gallery. I spent several afternoons drawing in my sketchbook.
So its been 7 year since my trip to Italy and looking back at these drawings gives me a good idea of how far I have come artistically. I am struck as I look at these how heavy my hand is.

My favorite sketch from the Loggia Dei Lanzi will be in the next post of my Italian Sketchbook. 

"Gratitude is the memory of the heart."
~ Italian Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment