Sunday, May 1, 2011

Religious Icons


"It is certain that if you would have the whole secret of a people, you must enter into the intimacy of their religion." ~ Edgar Quinet

So being Catholic, I have been fascinated by religious images for most of my life. Their stylized look at the divine is kind of quaint and interesting. There is a sacred symmetry and formality to it all. So I have attempted to create prints of my own religious icons.

On the recommendation of a fellow printer, I decided to do a multiple press series on this one. Each of the above prints is three prints of each separate color. With the second being the second ghost print of the image. So for each color I made the print, printed the first one then went on to make a second print. I specifically avoided the color black, to avoid it dominating the image.

The image below is an angel I tried to make in the same iconic style. It is also three consecutive prints with each adding a color. The red and blue dominate this print a little, but overall it's pretty neat:

No comments:

Post a Comment